Coming soon: Harrogate’s first dedicated office space for Digital and Tech businesses
Over the last few years, we’ve lost count of the number of people who have asked us, “are there any co-working or ‘incubator’ office spaces in Harrogate?”, and up until now the answer has been “no”. This got us thinking; we need to find a way to meet this demand, and actually it needs to be dedicated to Digital, Creative and Tech businesses who really need this type of space.
What we’ve been working on since has led to the development of Co-Lab in Harrogate, due to open in Spring 2021. Based within Harrogate Convention Centre, on Kings Road, Co-Lab will offer a modern and attractive office space. The key features being –
- Co-working desk space with lounge area.
- 10 serviced offices with desk space for 2-10 people.
- High speed secure broadband included.
- Meeting room for 12 people
- Kitchen area, shower room, toilets and facilities.
The unique feature of Co-Lab, however, will be the collaborative environment, where businesses can gain access funding and investment, insight, supply chain, help with talent recruitment, and advice that enables tech businesses to thrive.
What does the Co-Lab environment look like? Well, it starts mainly with the delivery of business growth programmes funded and delivered by Leeds City Region LEP, facilitated by in-house Growth Managers Alistair Forbes and Beata Olah.
Through the Investment Readiness programme, for example, activities will include group workshops covering key themes related to -
- Finance (e.g. traditional funding options, Research & Development related funding, crowd-funding, asset/invoice finance and factoring, platform-based finance and other alternative funders, such as challenger banks).
- One-to-one support will also be made available that will provide more intensive, impartial support to strengthen investment applications and support business owners in presenting themselves (on paper and in person) in the most attractive and investable manner. The programme is delivered in partnership by Winning Pitch and Garbutt & Elliott, under contract with Leeds City Region LEP and part funded by the European Union - England European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.
To join us at Co-Lab, you’ll ideally need to be a business in the Digital & Creative Industries business sector. That includes businesses involved in fintech, augmented reality and virtual reality, digital health, film/animation production, music, digital content creation/management, immersive tech/content, publishing, cyber security, data, gaming, or product design. The business will also need to be one with a scalable product or service, with the ambition to grow whether through turnover or employee numbers.
Co-Lab has been created and will be run by Harrogate Borough Council, as a key element in its Economic Growth Strategy, with the aim of helping the district economy to grow. With £540,000 external funding obtained through the ‘Leeds City Region Business Rate Pool’, the Co-Lab project will enable the creation of attractive office space environment that can form the foundation to enhance the digital and tech eco-system in our area.
Co-Lab will be focussed on Digital and Tech businesses, and we are inviting anyone interested in collaborating with the business community to talk to us. From designers, to hardware specialists, technologists, marketeers and developers, our aim is that everyone works together to help our community become more successful.